A man who stamped his name - the story of a Sheffield Little Mester.

So you have an old Sheffield razor. Do you ever wonder about the times it was made or the life of the skilled craftsman who made it?

I am pleased to publish the second article by razor historian Eric Gilroy. The following article is about the history of a razor manufacturer, a Sheffield Little Mester, James Johnson.  I had the pleasure of working on this beautiful razor for Eric in 2017. I find Eric's researches into the men who stamped their names onto the tangs of the razors so fascinating.




James Johnson

This is the story of, what might at first glance, seem an unremarkable razor, it was certainly not made by one of the ‘big’ manufacturers. But, its story transports us back to Sheffield in the 1850s and gives us a glimpse of how one of the many honest razor smiths and their families lived and worked.


I would like to start with the restoration of this fine old razor by Huw in July 2017

 Some of his comments:

I have been working on your razor for most of today. It is a beauty. It is definitely hand forged, the two faces are not identical, which was a charming revelation.

I have re-pinned it, after doing some reshaping of the spacer. The scales are beautiful and quite well made. I have ground the spine and tang to remove the pitting which was present.  I then hand sanded the razor and polished it up.

 In keeping with its pedigree, I have used a traditional washer and pin arrangement, which I hope you approve of.

James Johnson was a right- handed man, I could tell by the tell-tale marks from grinding, which we all leave if we favour a hand.  The razor's lines are wonderful. Out of the scales, the lines can be observed. I think that this is probably the nicest razor I have worked on. There's something special about it. The steel seems to be good, but honing will show”.








James was born in 1803, probably in the early cutlery producing area of Sheffield called Attercliffe, the son of a cutler – James Johnson, who was the son of a cutler, also named James Johnson. Both of these being time served apprentices in the trade.


There are no records of our James, or any of his sons, serving an apprenticeship, so perhaps his skills were passed down through his family. In those days, a family had to pay the Master a good sum of money to train their son, who then lived with the Master. After 1814, the rules for cutlery apprenticeships in Sheffield were relaxed, and so it is probable that James was able to learn his skills from his father. He would have begun his formal ‘apprenticeship’ when he was 14 and completed it in 1824 when he was aged 21 (although he may well have helped his father and grandfather in their workshop from an earlier age).


In 1826 at the age of 23, James married 19-year-old Martha Martin on 26 October, in Sheffield. They remained married for the rest of their lives.


James only ever worked as a one-man concern from his home (probably with his son James as an apprentice), and so he was a typical ‘Little Mester’. Razor manufacture only needed a small blacksmith type workshop with a forge to heat the metal and an anvil to shape the blade. The blades were then ground to a fine edge on a series of grinding wheels. Little Mesters, working from home, would not have the steam or water power for their own wheel, and so James would probably have rented a wheel in a purpose-built grinding workshop on a daily basis – these large buildings were called Wheels. Often, these Little Mesters supplemented their own work with contracts from larger manufacturers or wholesalers.


Little Mesters in Nineteenth century Sheffield, usually rented one or more troughs in one of the many wheels located throughout Sheffield. Each wheel consisted of rooms called hulls and each hull had a number of trows or troughs. The trough was made of cast metal and contained the water in which the grinding stone revolved. Each trough had divisions for the types of grinding stone, the glazer, the lapper and the polisher. In the back of the room was a drum or wheel, normally driven by a water wheel or latterly a steam engine, and wheel bands from it were used to drive either the grinding stone.


Sometimes a Little Mester would sublet troughs from a hull or sometimes he would rent a hull and employ apprentices to work in the other troughs.


Boys, often sons of Little Mesters, as young as seven or eight were employed in the Sheffield wheels and their young lungs were particularly susceptible to the dust from the grinding stones. They were usually employed in polishing and frequently suffered from coughing and shortness of breath. In this way, many families lost generation after generation to the trade.


The images below show a grinding hull of the 1820s, similar to what James would have used.




A typical hull might house about 6 grindstones for shaping and 2 glazing stones for finishing. The stones (made from sandstone) were 6 feet in diameter when new and hung in a trough filled with water to keep the stone wet when grinding. The grinder sat astride a wooden horsing over the stone and held the blade against the stone as it spun round.

Grinding was a dangerous occupation and grindstones could 'burst' injuring anyone nearby. Many grinders suffered from silicosis or 'grinders disease' through inhaling the stone dust

Grinding was a dangerous occupation and grindstones could 'burst' injuring anyone nearby. Many grinders suffered from silicosis or 'grinders disease' through inhaling the stone dust, and so life expectancy was very low in this trade. To grind faster, water was often dispensed with – dry grinding, allowing even more stone dust to be inhaled.



James stayed in Sheffield all of his life, and did not move very often:

  • 1828-1829 he was listed in Pigot’s Directory as a razor manufacturer in New Church Street
  • 1833 he was listed in White’s Directory as a razor manufacturer in Fitzwilliam Street
  • 1835 he was listed in Fitzwilliam street
  • 1841 he was listed in Pigot’s Directory as a razor manufacturer in Fitzwilliam Street, and then Eyre Street
  • 1849 he was listed in White’s Directory as a razor manufacturer 54 Broomhall Street & 66 Fitzwilliam Street.


James and Martha had twelve children, many of whom led pitifully short lives:

  • Lydia 1829 - ?
  • Samuel Benjamin 1830 -1851 aged 21
  • Anne 1831 – 1880 aged 49
  • James 1833 - 1889 aged 56
  • (Razorsmith, Ecclesall Union)
  • Margaret 1835 - ?
  • William Edward 1836 - 1840 aged 4
  • Mary Elizabeth 1838 -1839 aged 6 months
  • George Wostehnholm 1838 -1851 aged 13
  • William Henry 1841 - 1851 aged 10
  • Robert 1842 -1886 aged 44
  • (Cutler, Back of 17 Bailey Street)
  • Frederick 1849 -1894 aged 48 (painter, 22 Harrington Road)



Sheffield General Cemetery Grave: DD 65    

Mary Elizabeth JOHNSON, Infant, Fitzwilliam Street,Sheffield age: 6m, buried: 24 May 1839

William Edward JOHNSON Infant, Fitzwilliam Street,Sheffieldage: 4, buried: 8 Jul 1840

William Henry JOHNSON Infant , Eyre Street age: 10, buried: 26 Mar 1851

Samuel Benjamin JOHNSON, Eyre Lane age: 21, buried: 18 Apr 1851

George Wostehnholm JOHNSON Infant, Eyre Street age: 13, buried: 1 Feb 1851

Timothy JOHNSON Son of James Johnson, Razor Manufacturer, Grinder's Hill, Paternoster Road age: 18, buried: 24 Sep 1868

James JOHNSON Manufacturer, Paternoster Row age: 66, buried: 31 May 1869

Martha JOHNSON Widow, 22 Harrington Road age: 80, buried: 14 Dec 1887


 The back of Fitzwilliam Street where James first lived and worked. Note the communal water pump.


To add to the hazardous working conditions, there was a major Cholera outbreak in Sheffield in 1832 in which over 400 people died (about 1% of the population). This was caused by drinking water from local wells mixing with raw sewage. A note from Sheffield Mercury, 16 June 1832

“Cholera is likely to come to Sheffield. It attacks chiefly the dirty, the idle, the drunken and the disorderly”.


The authorities struggled to cope with the outbreak. There was a system of carrying away those infected to the workhouse on Kelham Street, the upper floor of which was given over to a ‘recovery house’. Those that succumbed were at first buried in parish churchyards but following complaints about bodies being carried through the streets on carts and having to live next to churchyards, it was decided to provide a hearse and an isolated burial ground at Clay Woods (near what is now Norfolk Park). There were further smaller outbreaks in 1849, 1854 and 1866.


A scene from Victorian Sheffield.

This photograph shows the area where James Johnson later worked and lived in Sheffield.

Below is Patternoster Row - The large apartment building in the background is where James and Martha finally lived.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published